Do Hyun's Movie Reviews

A collection of my thoughts on movies...

Name:
Location: San Ramon, CA, United States

Friday, November 03, 2006

The Butterfly Effect 1 & 2

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/butterfly_effect/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10006575-butterfly_effect_2/

Have you heard of "the butterfly effect"? According to the theory, when a butterfly flaps its wings in China, that little movement causes a big complex network of other events and it may end up causing a big hurricane on the other side of the earth, e.g. in the US. In "complexity theory", they use this example to explain various phenomena that cannot be easily explained by other simpler models. So much for the boring theories.

Today I watched a movie called "the butterfly effect 2". Obviously, it's a sequel to "the butterfly effect", which I've watched last year. Even though I like the original better, it was OK and made me think a lot, again. Both movies basically have the same storyline, where a guy finds himself have a special ability to go back to the past and change things, and keep rewinding his life to the very moment when he thinks everything went wrong, trying to fix it by making different decisions, and doing things differently, only to find that no matter what he tries, things may look better for a while but eventually become same or even worse.

It makes me keep thinking about various moments of my not-too-long life, and ask myself "what if I didn't do that", "what if that didn't happen" questions. Of course, I know that, as both movies keep claiming, "You cannot control eveyrthing!", and "things just happen!" But, you know, it is not so easy to drop those useless "what if" questions, once they started flooding my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home